Due: Monday, October 24, 2016; 8am
Academic Article:
1. There are three types of listening barriers, which listening barrier is used in this article and how do you know? Also, can you give a person example?
Current Event:
http://www.forbes.com/
2. Throughout the day, what would you estimate the number of times you look at social media during a conversation with someone? Out of those times, did you miss valuable information or ask the person to repeat themselves?
1. The listening barrier used in this article is lack of focus because the students are multitasking throughout class by being on their Facebook or maybe even tweeting during class. They are not putting their full attention toward the class, therefore, it is lack of focus. A personal example might be taking notes on a computer during class but also being on facebook while taking notes.
ReplyDelete2.I really like to focus on my studies, so, I will rarely get on social media during the school week. I am never on social media when talking to someone because I really don't care about being on facebook or twitter, it is not my thing, so, I do not need people to repeat themselves due to not paying attention to them.
1. I think lack of focus is used in the article because the students aren't just focused on one subject. An example would be working on a group project while also on your phone.
ReplyDelete2. I try not to look at my phone as much but I still do. I probably look at my phone 2 or 3 times during a conversation with someone else. I do ask them to repeat themselves a couple times usually its nothing too important and the person I am having a conversation with is on their phone too.
1) the barrier in this article is lack of focus because the students were doing more than one thing at one time so they weren't just focused on one thing. an example of lack of focus would be going on Facebook/twitter while taking notes on your computer.
ReplyDelete2) I try to limit the use of my phone during the day. i may look at my phone about 1 or 2 times during a conversation with someone else. even though i may be on my phone i can still listen to what the other person is saying so i rarely miss important information or half to ask them to repeat themselves.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete1. Distractions seems to be the most obvious answer, as multitasking is specifically mentioned in the chapter as a kind of distraction. An example would be when someone is driving while also holding a conversation, both tasks taking a substantial amount of attention to be fully competent at. As a side not, there was a high degree of standard deviation in the results of the study, meaning that while a substantial effect was shown, and general conclusions can be reached, that the results will not hold true for everyone.
Delete2. I would estimate roughly zero to two times per day I check my phone/social media during a conversation, although when I do, it's to reply to something that contains a level of immediacy, and I signal to my conversational partner that I am redirecting my attention for the moment. That way, I make sure I don't miss important information.
1. I think that the barrier in the article is focusing. The students are not good at focusing on one thing at a time. Lack of focus is from the students doing things on their phone or on the computer. An example would be when a person is in a conversation and on their phone at the same time.
ReplyDelete2. One of my pet peeves is someone being on their phone when I am talking to them, so I try not to do that. I would say that I still do it from time to time though. And when I do sometimes I have to ask the person that I am talking to to repeat themselves, because I missed what they were saying. I still make eye contact with the person, so I usually do not miss important information.
1. The inability to focus would be the most relevant. My personal example is with random strangers walking on the sidewalk when I'm on my way to class. I have literally had a person walk right into me because they we so focused on their phone and not what was directly in front of them. I just kept walking and they acted shocked.
ReplyDelete2. I rarely interrupt a conversation with another person to look at my phone. The only time I do it is when I am getting a phone call, and even then I would normally just mute it. I would say this happens to me at most once per day, and really not even once most of the time. I tell the person I have to take a call and we then resume our conversation afterwards.
1. The barrier that is seen in the article is lack of focus. The results showed that while a student was occupied with electronics during a lecture, both their short term memory and content of notes taken during the lecture suffered. My personal example would be when I am expecting an important call or email I have a really hard time focusing on conversations when I feel my phone buzz. I know it is rude to check but the anxiety of the situation overrules and I have to look for one second.
ReplyDelete2. I check my phone but I do not answer it back unless it is important that I answer immediately. I usually wait until after our conversation is over to answer back. I have had to ask people to repeat themselves due to me being on my phone answering someone. I usually find myself trying to defend myself for the action but It always makes me sound ridiculous.
1. The inability to focus seems to be the most relevant. An example of this would be trying to have a conversation with someone while watching television or looking at your phone.
ReplyDelete2. I try to be respectful when I am in a conversation with someone. I may look at my phone once or twice and if I didn't hear what the person said I will ask them to repeat it. However, I try to be respectful by being focused on the conversation.
1. The lack of focus seems to be barrier in this study. The high school student is suppose to be taking notes while preforming different task at the same time and this prevents the student from really being able to concentrate on one thing. I think many students try to listen to music and do homework at the same time.
ReplyDelete2. There are times where I try to put my phone away so I can focus on what my friend is saying because she gets annoyed if I am in my phone while she is trying to talk to me. I know there are times where I dislike repeating myself because the other person was on their phone.
1. As literally everyone else at this point has stated, the article is leaning very heavily in terms of lack of ability to focus. Juggling multiple tasks at the same time is analogous to processing in computers: the computer is able to work on only a very limited amount of tasks at a time. In order to deal with multiple tasks, the data has to be overwritten, or stored a different way (for humans, taking detailed notes). Since human memory operates a bit differently however, the note taking process is less particular and precise.
ReplyDelete2. Social media, in the canonical sense is not something I adhere to. I do not tweet, or facebook, etc. I do reddit, but reddit is not something that requires immediate attention. By removing the temptation, I do not have these problems. I do very occassionally pause to text, but only because one very particular and important person in my life often has an expectation of immediate responses.
1. The most relevant is the lack of focus barrier. An example of this would be students in class constantly worried about checking their phone and missing parts of the lecture, I have seem people look at their phone for an entire class period.
ReplyDelete2. When I am talking to a person I have been taught it is very rude to take out your phone during a conversation so I try not to. I know someone who is constantly interrupting me while being on their phone like they do not hear me talking to them. So I know how it feels to be ignored therefore I do not do it.
1-The listening barrier used in the article is lack of focus. The reason behind that is because the students are not focusing as they are doing somethings else, because they are using their phones so they cannot focus. A personal example would be when I am taking notes and not focusing on the class.
ReplyDelete2- I do not like to use my phone while talking with other people, so I would say it is just one time in a conversation. I have never missed valuable information but I have already asked people to repeat themselves.
-Eduardo Jardim
1. The listening barrier that is exemplified in the article is lack of focus, because the students are multitasking and not focusing their attention on one task. They are on social media while also supposed to be listening to the lecture, so they do not have their full attention on the material given during class, which in return, will decrease the students ability to know and recall the class material. A personal example of lack of focus would be when I have a huge test and I have difficulties sitting in other classes prior to the test without trying to study or go through the material on the test in my head.
ReplyDelete2. I have to admit that I probably check my phone up to 5 times a day during conversations, but usually only one or two of these would be checking social media. The majority of times I check my phone are because I need to know what time it is or because I am expecting an important text or call. Sometimes, however, if I am not engaged or interested in a conversation I will check social media, and there have been many cases where this leads me to asking the person to repeat themselves. I try my best not to be on social media during conversations, but there are times where I am.