Due: Wednesday, October 5, 2016; 8am
Current Event:
http://www.pewinternet.org/
From these survey’s taken, how are teens taken away from being able to express themselves in young relationships?
Academic Article:
In your opinion do you think technology is making our interpersonal relationships closer or making them more distant?
I think that by being in a relationship online is causing them to miss the emotional and physical attraction and connection a relationship usually has face to face. They won't be able to show their affection face to face instead they are just posting about each other online. I think they are missing the whole concept of a relationship.
ReplyDeleteAcademic Article:
I think that technology is making our relationships closer, we get to talk to anyone at any time of the day just by a text or call. Anything that comes to our mind we can tell them right away instead of waiting until the next time you see them.
1. A lot f the people who said that have not been in a relationship were not as likely to show interest to that person, rather than the people who have been in relationships before. So, the teens that do not meet someone face to face who have not been in a relationship are missing the social cues. They are missing the connection with the other person.
ReplyDelete2. I personally think that technology makes relationships more distant, because they are losing the emotion within the message. I think that people who are just starting a new relationship and people who are trying to further their relationship loose that connection that many people have face to face. However, I think that it is a good tool to keep people in touch with relationships that you already have.
1. The current event stated social media is the top venue for flirting. People use social media to express their interests in someone. By doing this, teens take away from being able to express themselves in their relationships because they are more concentrated on expressing their significant other online. Online relationships don't allow people to be on that interpersonal level of communication with one another because they aren't able to have that face-to-face communication. Face-to-face communication allows people to hear one another's tone of voice, read their body language, and see their facial expressions, which allows people to connect on a whole other level.
ReplyDelete2. I think technology is making our interpersonal relationships more distant. For example, when I am walking to class everyday almost everyone I walk by has their face in their cell phone. Also this tends to happen a lot in classes. Before class starts, the room tends to be silent because everyone is too absorbed in what's going on in social media that no one is communicating with one another, making it impossible to form new relationships.
1. Online relationships for young teens is making the relationships less emotional. This is because the younger teens only have technology as a form of communication. They can't drive so they rarely have face to face communication. This results in young teens being nervous when faced with face-to-face communication.
ReplyDelete2. I think that technology is making relationships closer, because we can talk to everyone whenever we want to. We can share what we are doing or what we are thinking with our friends at any time.
1. Usually when two people meet and begin to like each other, that happens by a connection and it is a very hard thing to do online. It is how you communicate and react with one another externally.
ReplyDelete2. As a shy person I feel that technology makes things harder for me internally because I will not put my time forth into meeting new people because I have everything on facebook for example, so, I feel that technology is making them more distant.
1. Teens using social media to try to flirt or show interest in someone are decreasing their ability to express themselves because it is hard to fully express yourself yourself by liking or commenting on someone's social media post. The best way for people to express themselves is in person, face-to-face.
ReplyDelete2. I believe technology is making our interpersonal relationships more distant, because although it allows easier and more ways to communicate with each other, conversations over technology are not as intimate as conversations in person. A couple that talks more in person is going to be closer than a couple who talks a lot over technology because the couple that talks in person really get to know each other, rather than the couple who talks over technology that could just be typing words and not expressing their true selves.
1. Teens are having a less emotional and physical type of relationship. So they are not able to show how they really are in text messaging as supposed to in person. So they aren't feeling an emotional connection.
ReplyDelete2. I believe that technology is making interpersonal relationships distant because it's just keeping away people from actually meeting face-to-face. I know when I text someone for a while, and then I go meet them in person, I get super shy and I am just not myself. So meeting up with someone is better so there is an actual connection to feel and you can really express yourself.
1. Teens that have online relationships are missing the emotional portion of being in one. It's harder for younger teens to actually meet face to face so when they do they become extremely nervous.
ReplyDelete2. I personally think that technology is making interpersonal relationships closer. I feel this way because now it is easier communicate with others.
1. Young relationships as a whole are missing real emotional connection between their significant others. With increased use of social media and texting, it is hard to really grasp what a person means and miscommunication can occur. When everything about yourself is on social media there is no need for a person to ask directly because they can find it with little to no search.
ReplyDelete2. I think that it really depends on a person's personality. Texting and social media allow for people to avoid contact by simply staying off of either. On the other hand, a person could be constantly connected and know what everyone is doing by using various forms of communication.
1. The younger generations of society are overly reliant on using technology to communicate their feelings. It is a convenient way to communicate. Some teens have become so reliant on it that they would text a friend who is vicinity with them and not actually talk to them. This is the problem. Teens are losing the sense of actually being a human and expressing feelings to others in a relationship.
ReplyDelete2. Just by comparing the amount of divorces in younger generations compared to older generations I would say that technology is making the romantic relationship more distant. It is convenient to text or call your partner when you haven't heard them in a while, but you don't want to have that be the only method of communication between the two. Social media does make the affairs between a couple more publicly known, I think it is too open and allows for outsiders to come in when they aren't intended to, and then that leads to jealousy, ultimately ending the relationship.
1. I don't know that they are. Part of the surveys indicate a majority of teens feel more connected to their significant other because of social media. While they might not be able to express intimacy in physical ways, or communicate using the channels associated with face to face communication, you can still communicate and express yourself in ways that weren't possible for previous generations. Although the survey does point out that a number of teens view their partners as presenting an altered version of themselves on social media, which could create distance between the couple.
ReplyDelete2. Much of the discussion in this article is based around the romanticized notion of the close childhood friend with whom one spent all their time, which seems fallacious to me. As much as proximity can be a factor for establishing interpersonal relationships, it is far from the only factor, and I would argue it is not the most important one. Technology has given us the capacity to participate in and maintain relationships based on more than mere proximity and vague similarities. We can now choose who to be friends with based on how much we actually want to have a relationship with that person, not simply falling in with who it is convenient to spend time with. As with all tools, the effects of technology are seen in how they are used, not simply their existence. Each person uses the technology available to them and integrates them into their relationships how they see fit, and the effects are going to be as varied as the individuals involved.
1. Teens are no longer required to develop intimate face to face relationships, due to the convenience of technology. Not being forced to find someone to talk to allows teens (and adults) to be lazy in a relationship, and therefore miss out on developing skills in face to face communication. Additionally, technology provides a method for teens to "hide". The technology allows them to retreat, while still communicating, which in some ways, is a method to avoid others.
ReplyDelete2. I personally think its a mixed bag. On one hand, not developing the face to face skills as well is certainly detrimental. On the other hand, its easier to initiate a conversation, easier to maintain contact over distance, maintain contact during work, etc. There is always a trade off, but that means with the bad comes some good, which I think is often undervalued, at least in these sorts of articles.
1.Since teens are relying on social media as a way to express there feelings talking in person would be so much harder. I think its much harder to show a person who you really by text or social media and also social media allows a person to say things that they wouldn't be able to say in person. I think in some way they also perceive someone they are not.
ReplyDelete2.I think technology helps couples stay together,like long distant couples. But if the relationship is developing through social networks, it wouldn't be as intimate. Its harder to show people who you really are if they can't see the nonverbal aspect of communication. I think it would be harder for online couples to communicate once they see each other in person because they are not used to it.
1-Because they are not able to have face to face contact with the other person. It is difficult for someone to express how they really feel online. They are also missing in the emotional and physical connection with the other person.
ReplyDelete2-I think it can be both. Technology can bring people who are far way close to each other, but sometimes technology can make relationships more distant as they start relying on internet as their only form of connection with the other person.
1. since teens do not develop certain interaction skills outside of technology they are missing out on vital emotional and physical development.
ReplyDelete2. I believe technology can help if used correctly. technology can be great to stay in touch or help long distance relationships but it can be easily misused. its very easy for a relationship to become stale in person due to poor use of technology.