Due: Monday, November 28, 2016; 8am
Academic Article Question:
1.Why do you think some lies are considered “acceptable” and why do you think gender is a factor in lying?
Current Event Question:
https://www.
2. If someone tells an "acceptable" lie, is it his/her fault if it spirals into a big lie? How can this be prevented?
1) I think some lies are considered acceptable because there is a point to where it really doesn't matter if it's the truth or not. Little things like your girlfriend is asking if another girl is pretty and the boy saying no just to make her happy, but maybe if he would have said yes, it could have resulted in a stupid fight. Gender plays a role in many situations, and gender is a factor because there is a point to where some females will not be treated in a certain way while a male might be treated that specific way like being screamed at for not doing his job right.
ReplyDelete2) Well, yes, it would be their fault if it spiraled into a big lie because it was their choice to make and if it became big, it was something they should not have lied about in the first place. This can be prevented by not lying about something that should be truthful to begin with.
1. Acceptable likes are generally lies that prevent more harm than they cause. Generally speaking, if an individual assumes that telling a lie to make someone feel better results in more happiness than telling the truth, that would make the lie acceptable. I think gender factors into deciding to what degree a lie is acceptable by the previous criteria.
ReplyDelete2.The best way to prevent a lie from spiraling, is to not tell one, but beyond that, telling specific lies about a specific point in time can limit the damage by preventing "leaks" into other topics.
1. I think that lies can be acceptable if they deal with the little things. I think that gender plays a role due to motives and scenarios.
ReplyDelete2. Yes it is their fault because they chose to lie to begin with. You can prevent it by just being honest from the get go.
1- Because they are preventing people from getting hurt and also because they do not cause any harm. Gender is a factor because it may be acceptable that a girl tells a lie while it would not be acceptable if a man would do so.
ReplyDelete2- Yes, it is his/her fault. One way to prevent is not telling lies even if they are considered "acceptables". It is always better to tell the truth.
1. Lying is acceptable when the scenario is nothing too serious and you know it wont cause a big conflict. Gender plays a role because girls tend to be cause more drama so they tell more lies to keep secrets.
ReplyDelete2. Yes it is his/her fault if the lie gets worse. it can be prevented by just saying the truth right there and then. Even though telling the truth can hurt, its better to do so.
1. Lies can be acceptable in certain situations if you are trying to refrain from hurting someone. People always say they would rather be told the trust, but in some circumstances some things are better left unsaid. Gender plays a role in lying because it's pretty obvious that gets carry on more drama and like to gossip so they tend to get caught up in more lies than men do.
ReplyDelete2. Yes it is his or her fault if the lie gets blown up because it was their decision to lie in the first place. The only way to be prevented is if he/she didn't lie at all.
1. I think that lies are acceptable if they are lies to make sure that the person does not get hurt. Small lies to not hurt anyones feelings are acceptable. On the other hand information that are could be important to a person should not be lied about. I do not think that gender plays a role in lying because I believe that either gender is capable to lie about a situation and also keep information from people.
ReplyDelete2. Yes, it would be that persons fault if the small lie turned into a bigger lie because he/she was the one who told the lie in the first place. It can simply be prevented by not telling a lie.
1. Lies that are altruistic in nature are more acceptable than lies that could end up being self-inflating or selfish. An example of this could be lying that you have everything you need to survive at college but incidentally you do not in an effort to not overburden your parents or guardian. I think gender plays a part because I feel more comfortable than my sister when confronted about personal matters.
ReplyDelete2. Yes, it is the person's fault because they started the issue in the first place. I think the best way to prevent this is to have integrity and owning up to problem at its face value. I have experienced both situations and owning up from the beginning is more beneficial than lying in the longer run.
1. I believe that lies are acceptable if its purpose is to keep someone from being hurt. Gender can play a role in lying because depending on the situation, it can have a huge impact on the men or women.
ReplyDelete2. Yes, it is their fault because they're the ones who told the lie in the first place. Not telling a lie is the best way to prevent it from spiraling out of control.
1. If you are lying to cover up a small problem then it shouldn't cause any harm. For example, when your girlfriend wants your opinion of her clothes she just bought you probably would just say yes by default because you could care less. Small lies like that really do no harm. I think gender does impact lying. It would seem that females can get away with lying more because they appear more innocent than men.
ReplyDelete2. It is the individual's fault for lying. They started the chain reaction that led to the big lie. The way to prevent that from happening is to not lie at all about it.
1. There are some acceptable lies, but I would say that they are very minor and are only when you are trying to make the other person happy. However, if you are doing it in order for the other person not to get mad at you, or you are hiding something, that is not acceptable. Yes, I do think that gender plays a role in lying. I think that more girls tell smaller lies to their friends that they think are small but usually turn into drama and fighting.
ReplyDelete2. I do think that this person is to be blames for the lying spiraling into a bigger lie. If they wouldn't have told the first lie none of the other things would have happened.
1. At it's core, lying is unacceptable when it is unethical or immoral. For some, all lying is unethical or immoral, but for many people I think that a lie is acceptable when the motivation behind the lie serves a greater moral purpose than not lying does. That is, the value of the lie is greater than the cost of lying. As far as gender differences go, it seems likely that it has to do with traits that are considered masculine and feminine. Those traits tend to promote males being more aggressive, and females more submissive, or at least more concerned with keeping the peace.
ReplyDelete2. The answer to this question seems like it could also be a broader question about personal responsibility for the actions taken by others as a result of your actions. I think primary way a person can prevent things like a spiraling lie is to act responsibly. We cannot directly control how others will act, but we can try to anticipate the reactions of others and only lie when it is the best option.
1. I do believe there are some acceptable lies. in some occasions it is better to lie than tell the truth. For example if my mom asks me how she looks im going to say very nice even if she looks bad.
ReplyDelete2. I do believe it is the persons fault because if you lie you must be able to have discretion and live with the consequences of lie.
1. I believe that some lies are acceptable if you're trying to make someone else happy but if you're trying to cover up a small problem, then it could just lead to drama. Yes I do believe that gender plays a role in lying. I think that girls tell tell more small lies then guys but they usually turn into drama.
ReplyDelete2. I do think that this person should be blamed for the lie. If you lie, you have to be able to accept the consequences of your actions.
I think some lies are acceptable to an extent. If it is harming or hiding something important then the truth should be told. But if it does not affect the person then it does not matter. For example if there is a surprise party I will hide this from the person we are surprising.
ReplyDeleteI do think this person should be blamed.