Saturday, November 5, 2016

Discussion Questions: Culture
Due: Monday, November 7, 2016; 8am

Academic Article:

1. Question: How do you think teaching a British curriculum to Thai students help or hinder the students cultural awareness?

Current Event:


2. Question: Do you think that being culturally aware has an affect on your own culture?

14 comments:

  1. 1. I think that it helps the students identify differences between their own culture and the British culture. The potential problem with this is that if the students aren't aware of their own culture they may not be able to identify the differences from the British culture.

    2. I do not think that being culturally aware affects my own culture. It helps me understand that there are plenty of other cultures out in the world other than my own. It is a good thing to know that other cultures exist so a person doesn't look ignorant. Being culturally aware will enable you to explore other parts of the world and you may end up experiencing them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I believe it will help the students cultural awareness. From experience, I have seen another who speaks a different language and those who spoke english told them they needed to learn english, but if we were to learn their language, it would not be a problem.

    2) Yes, completely. If we are culturally aware, then we will know what is going on in the world at least somewhat. Being involved is very important to try to make this world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I agree with what Brett said, I believe that it will help students distinguish the differences between their culture and the British culture. It would make them aware of the other cultural and how they function but it may hinder the knowledge of their own culture. As they continue to learn a different culture, they might gravitate towards it since that's what they know and are learning.
    2. Yes I believe being culturally aware has an affect on our own culture. For example, knowing how other cultures are suffering, it makes me feel really blessed and that I should never take for granted what I have. Also it is important because it increases your cultural background and allows you to know how to interact with other cultures successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I believe that it would help the students with cultural awareness because they can use what they already know and see of there are any similarities or differences within their culture. The students would be able to see and understand why British people believe in what they believe in.

    2. Yes I do think that it would have an affect on our own culture. Knowing what other people believe in allows the individual to believe what they want of the information given to them, therefore that is their own culture in a since.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I believe that it would help students become more culturally aware. By having comparisons it can help students to understand their culture better.

    2. I think that it would have an affect on our culture. It would help us to better understand what's going on around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I believe that it would help the student see the differences between their culture and the British culture and see the possible similarities. The only problem would be that the student doesn't know his/her culture well enough to see the similarities and differences.

    2. yes i do believe that being culturally aware affects my own culture. It helps me understand that there are other cultures out there and they are not all like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. From reading the article, I think that there would be a benefit a student to experience different cultures. There would have to be a well rounded program that could know the differences between each culture and better accommodate to them.

    2. I believe that being culturally aware benefits how I view other cultures and interpret them. Knowing what is acceptable and unacceptable to say or do can help mitigate communication breakdowns and issues between other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I believe it helps the Thai students learn about a new culture and also be aware of the british lifestyles. I'm sure that some of the Thai students haven't even heard about this british curriculum.
    2. Yes, I do believe being culturally aware affects my own culture. I get to learn about how others live and see what people have to go through. Sometimes I just don't realize how good I have it, so I should be more appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. The Thai students will have more cultural awareness after being taught with British curriculum because they have most likely already been through school with Thai curriculum, so they will now be able to distinguish the differences between their culture and other cultures.
    2. I do not think being culturally aware changes our culture, but rather it allows us to recognize our culture more easily. It is possible that we are a part of a culture that we do not know, but it does not change anything about you or the culture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1-It helps by the fact that Thai students will know more about British culture by doing so, which helps the students' cultural awareness.
    2- I do not think so, because knowing about other cultures cannot affect your culture in any way, it only brings more knowledge about other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. I think generally that it would help the students be more culturally aware, as it provides opportunities to interact with other cultures, but only if the students have something to compare it against. If the students were only ever exposed to a British curriculum school, then they would most likely not gain any cultural awareness.

    2. This comes back to the question of whether or not we have one culture, or belong to several different cultures in varied proportions? If we only have one culture, is it an amalgam of all the cultures we grew up with and have experienced over our lifetime? I think that we typically belong to several cultures and that being culturally aware can make us more aware of the distinctions and overlap, but not actually change our culture, in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. I think it would help the student learnt the British curriculum because it would make them more aware of the different cultures and able to appreciate their own culture as well.
    2. Being more aware of different cultures doesn't affect your own, it just makes an individual respectful towards another culture. I think many people are not aware of the different cultures in the USA especially Muslim. Many people are disrespectful to Muslims because individuals are not culturally educated on the Muslim culture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. I think it would be beneficial to be more aware of the other cultures. This would give the students a broad outlook on what other cultures look like compared to their own.
    2. I think that being more aware of other cultures does not effect the way you act in your culture. However, if you begin to practice someone else's culture then your culture may be affected

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. I don't think the article had tested a wide enough base to even really be making the claims that it did, but if we gloss over that detail, it seems to indicate that students would benefit from being culturally aware of their teachers. Perhaps it would be manifested in picking up the nuances of learning a language (British English varies from U.S. English, Brits have different mannerisms).
    2. Marc has pointed out that our own culture is very diverse, including ethnically. Our culture is not a well defined particular set, as some other cultures may be; rather, the culture of the U.S. is an amalgamation of many, and therefore being aware of each micro-culture, although difficult, would certainly give us at least an understanding of how each sub-culture works in our culture.

    ReplyDelete